If you manufacture products or components, you know how important it is to mark your parts with a part number, model number, barcode, or even a logo. This makes it easy for you and your customers to identify parts in the future for replacement or repair.
There are many ways that you can choose to mark a part, with printing and labels being popular methods in the past. However, another solution may work even better for you in terms of permanence and cost savings — laser engraving. Before you choose a part marking solution, it is important to understand what laser engraving is and what its benefits are over printing.
Laser engraving or laser marking is used to create characters, part numbers, logos, graphics, and barcodes. Laser engraving does not involve a physical tool etching the surface, nor does it transmit ink or any other substance onto the surface — instead, the laser light is focused onto a material, which in turn produces a contrasting mark or a deep mark depending on the settings being used.
A number of different laser marking machines are available that will complete this task. From low power desktop machines ideal for small batches, to fully integrated systems within a production line, laser marking systems can outperform a printer with more attractive markings and more permanent results.
Here are just a few of the benefits you can experience when you choose laser marking for your engraving needs:
• Cost savings from no consumables: High volume manufacturers can greatly reduce costs with laser marking, which only costs $0.02 per mark, compared to $0.07 – $0.09 per mark for ink or labels. The consumable cost for ink or labels will far exceed the initial cost of a laser.
• Permanence: Stickers fall off and ink fades, but when you use laser etching, you have a permanent mark that will stand the test of time. That means even if you are marking a part that won’t need replacing for five, ten or twenty years, your customer will be able to read that part number or scan its barcode.
• Visibility: A laser marking is easy to read and vibrant, making it far superior to a printed mark.
• Speed: Laser engraving is fast and simple. Our machines will help you mark your parts faster and with less time spent on the process.
• Flexibility: Laser marking works on a variety of materials. Whether you are working with metals, plastics or natural materials, there is a laser marking solution that will work for you.
• Minimal maintenance: Avoid downtime associated with cleaning or unclogging a printer when you utilize laser marking systems that don’t use a messy consumable.
As you can see, laser marking is often superior to printing. If you need to mark a variety of materials, you may want to look into using laser engraving instead of the alternatives.
If you are considering a laser engraving system, or just want to talk to an expert about the options available to you, call or contact us at Mecco. We have experts who will be glad to answer your questions and help you find the right solution for your business -- customer service and your satisfaction are our top concerns. No matter what your laser marking needs, we want to help you experience “The MECCO Experience” of Innovative Relationships and Innovative Solutions.
Want to see how MECCO can mark your parts?