The Northern Stamping division's primary focus is on the manufacture of medium to large stampings assembled to very close tolerances. Hilite International produces parts utilizing all metal stamping technologies, sophisticated robotic welding, and e-coating.
Part identification and traceability plays a key role in Northern Stamping’s goal of achieving zero defects. MECCO’s COUTH SuperFast dot peen markers are incorporated into every inspection/check station located outside the robotic welding cells. Once a part passes their critical tolerance and weld quality testing, the parts are marked with traceability identification information including part number, Julian date, welding cell location and an operator number, which provides full traceability on the part. Some parts also are marked with 2D Data Matrix, which are used for sequencing of parts at the final assembly lines.
- Marking 2D Data Matrix on automotive stampings, including cross member and trailer hitch assemblies
- Mark must be deep enough to be read after e-coat painting process
- Rugged, reliable markers needed: very aggressive robotic weld cell environment
After working with MECCO to implement the COUTH SuperFast with N20 marking head, Hilite experienced the following benefits:
- High speed marking system - increases productivity
- N20 marking head able to produce a very deep mark, increases mark’s survivability